Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Procrastination, Quilting for Dudes

I was recently over at 13 Spools, joining in the conversation about works in progress. How many should a sewer have going at once? Is every idea one worth pursuing?

It’s necessary for me to have more than one ball in the air at a time. I need the variety for those moments when I get bored with a project. Sometimes, I need a quick finish (and let’s face it: quilts are never quick finishes!) so that I can revel in that sense of accomplishment and propel myself into a more daunting project. Then there are those times I consider taking a pair of shears to an especially frustrating project (haven’t done it … yet!). In those moments, I slowly back away from my sewing table and move on to something else.

But it’s possible to let something wither away undone for too long. Case in point: my version of Denyse Schmidt’s Big Zig quilt. Originally, I was working with a December 2013 deadline (for a Christmas present). Then it was a January 2014 deadline (for the same person, but for his birthday instead of Christmas). Now I’m going for the recipient’s half-birthday, in July. Yes, I am ridiculous. But half-birthdays should be real things—like, with cake and presents.

Photograph used by permission of DS Quilts

My original stab at this quilt was delayed by my Penny Sampler, although I can honestly say that life in general was delayed by my Penny Sampler. The Penny Sampler has been done since January, so what’s the holdup? The Big Zig is super easy to piece, and I’ve had the fabric.

I think it’s the quilting. I’m drawn to the simple geometry in some quilts. But there’s little forgiveness in the quilting here—especially in the way that Denyse quilted the original, with a contrasting thread! I will be choosing a more matchy-match color of thread, which should somewhat hide whatever flaws appear in my final quilt.

Photograph used by permission of DS Quilts

So I’ve assessed the situation and confirmed that what I have cut I can use. I wish I had written some notes about where I was in the process when I set it aside. (Truth be told, I didn’t think it would be ignored for half a year.) For example, one cut triangle had a pin in it. I’m sure that was meant to indicate something. It’s like a secret message from my fall 2013 self to my summer 2014 self. Too bad I can’t figure out what it is!

My version of Denyse Schmidt’s Big Zig

What’s your take on WIPs, Goldilocks? How many are just right?

And on another subject: how do you feel about quilting for dudes? This is my first quilt specifically for a guy (the rainbow quilt for my five-year-old son doesn’t count). What have you made for the men in your lives? I ask because I plan on embarking on another guy project. Thanks in advance!

Linking up to . . .

http://www.sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/2014/06/lets-bee-social-26.html

9 comments:

  1. I made a Sisters' 10 BOM quilt for my husband. I wasn't initially planning to make it for my husband, but he really liked the blocks I was making, so it turned into a quilt for him, which was pretty lucky. I'm not sure it would have been as successful if I'd been planning it for him from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do I think about quilting for dudes? The same as I think about quilting for gals? I suppose it really comes down to the person who will be the receiver.Patterns,fabric, colours they all can make huge differences to the quilt and person. Probably not really the answer that will help you, but that is how I feel about it (sorry about that)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it does -- and I agree. I checked out the quilt that Audrey made for her husband and saw how it could be more masculine or feminine. My knee-jerk reaction is that a more simple geometric design or a bunch of negative space might point a quilt toward being more masculine, but I'm sure we could come up with many exceptions to that!

      Delete
  3. Generally I only work on one project at a time. My 2013 self and 2014 self would be just as clueless as to what each other was thinking. My memory is BAD. But there are times I feel like I would like to have more projects on the go for some variety. I have only made one quilt for a dude... my son. Not including a few boy baby quilts, that is. And he designed it. And helped pick the fabrics for it. And in the end he was quite pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile.:)) I just love the way you said it..{My 2013 self and 2014 self would be just as clueless as to what each other was thinking. My memory is BAD.} I couldn't say it better...))

      Delete
  4. I love the zig zag quilt, I love the simplicity of it, It's going to be beautiful.
    I prefer to work one project at the time (at least finish the top) and the reason is; when putting a quilt together, we have (I do) our own scenario going on and sometimes when put aside for too long, we can't remember what it was...like your needle.:))
    Recently I made a quilt for my husband, It still need to be quilted but, here is the link if you want to check it out.

    http://marysemakethings.blogspot.ca/search/label/Man%20Quilt%20Top

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should celebrate our "non-anniversary", like in Alice in Wonderland. Si it would be plenty of others deadlines.

    Narrowing to just one or two project is really difficult, I try to limit myself to 3-4 projects at the time. It's hard !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the zig zag quilt. Nice clean colors and lines. I (also) wouldn't be so daring as to use a contrasting thread. Smart move ;-)
    I usually have about two bigger projects and a few little ones going. That way I can always be working on something that suits the mood I am in. I do love finishing things up tho and don't tend to let them sit for too long. However I don't have small children around. That makes it harder, I am sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from Lets Bee Social .....i LIke alot of UFO's

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.